A message to the community from Kevin Edgson
During these uncertain times, nothing is more important than the health and safety of our employees and their families, our business partners, and the communities where we live and work. We are actively engaged with public health authorities and are implementing their recommendations to help minimize the risk of infection from COVID-19.
We understand the important role that EACOM plays in the surrounding communities at each of our sites, as well as in the North American economy. The recent border closure with the United States excludes lumber as it is considered a critical good and must continue to be supplied.
With that in mind, we have response teams in place that are making decisions based on what is best for our employees and our business under these ever-changing circumstances. We are taking this situation very seriously and following official recommendations, some of which include:
- Suspending all business travel (including upper management and inter-mill travel);
- Requiring employees to self-isolate if they meet any of the risk factors or present symptoms;
- Secure procedure for our inbound and outbound truckers;
- Restricting site visitors to those with a valid business reason and requiring visitors to sign a self-declaration form;
- Safety Tool Box meetings every day to review best practices and new measures;
- Enhanced cleaning protocols for all common areas and deployment of hand sanitizer;
- Emphasizing social distancing and proper hygiene, as prescribed by the World Health Organization; and
- Implementing work-from-home arrangements, conference call meetings, the elimination of group gatherings, and staggering breaks where possible.
This situation is unprecedented in living memory, things are changing rapidly, and we are communicating with employees frequently. To get through it, we are counting on our team members to work together, look out for each other, and be thoughtful of their actions. EACOM is committed to keeping our employees safe while maintaining our operations and continuing to be a vital economic driver in our communities.
President & CEO, EACOM Timber Corporation